Sometimes the best ideas are right in front of you, and Olney Christian School is no exception! In 2010, several members of New Life Church began to meet and pray about putting the church building to good use during the week by providing an excellent yet affordable education for students in our neighborhoods. The vision quickly spread to others at the church who saw both the need in our communities and the assets God had blessed us with. A decade of experience with our After-School Program, years of teaching in the School District of Philadelphia and interactions with friends and neighbors have all confirmed this need.
God has worked nothing short of miracles in the creation of Olney Christian School. The school has often received generous donations at just the right time. When we wondered if the show had stopped, God led us to find a necessary legal document in the church’s boiler-room and avoid $150,000 in repairs! Our talented director and gifted teachers have dedicated themselves to teaching and caring for the children of our community, because they know how transformative a solid education can be in the life of a child. We have educators, counselors, teacher coaches, and administrators on our Board of Directors.
The vision of Olney Christian School is to equip students in our Philadelphia communities for life by educating their minds, nurturing their hearts, and training their hands with practical life skills.
Olney Christian School’s mission is to provide students in the Philadelphia area with a choice for a quality, affordable, Christ-centered education.
At Olney Christian School, we admit students and families of any faith or religion. However, what we believe informs what we do and teach, so we ask our students’ families to agree to support a Christian education for their children. Here’s a summary of our beliefs:
1. God is one being existing in three Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
2. God is sovereign, the Creator and Sustainer of all things.
3. The Bible is the written Word of God, inerrant, infallible and the final authority by which God directs and governs all our activities.
4. Humans were created in the image of God as rational, moral, and spiritual beings. We sinned in Adam and fell with him when he first disobeyed God. Our fall has affected us spiritually, intellectually, and physically. We are given new life only by the renewing grace of the Holy Spirit and through faith in the cleansing blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, who represents us before God the Father.
5. Jesus Christ is the eternal begotten Son of God, conceived by the Holy Spirit, and born of the Virgin Mary—truly God, truly man.
6. Through Christ’s life, death, resurrection and ascension, He accomplished a decisive victory over sin for His people, and established His Kingdom among humanity.
7. Our Lord Jesus Christ will return in glory and triumph for the final judgment and the consummation of His Kingdom. Those who have trusted in Jesus’ life, death and resurrection will enjoy eternal life with Him, while those who have rejected Him will suffer eternal torment in separation from God.